Thursday, August 19, 2010

Vacation Journal




















I've been on a lot of vacations. I've been to Florida too many times to count. I've been to New York, California, Texas, Colorado, DC, Tennessee, Alabama, New Orleans, Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Hawaii, and all over the Midwest. I've been to Italy and Australia twice. One thing I have never done on all of those vacations is keep a journal.

Oh how I wish I would have taken the time to write down the things I did and the way I was feeling at the time. I like to write but I've never been good at keeping a journal.

It seems to me that art journaling is so completely different. I find that when I am combining art with my writing I become more reflective and I go just a bit deeper.

On my vacation I kept it simple. Each day I did a quick sketch of something from the day and I quickly painted it with my watercolors. Once dry I would just free write the things we did and the fun we had. Every once in a while I was inspired to reflect on something but it was mainly just a record of my vacation.

The first photo is of one of the trees I saw while hiking. I am going to do a whole post just on the trees...the roots...I fell in love with them! Stay tuned for that.

The second one is some wildflowers I picked along the road while we walked back from a waterfall down the road from the house we rented. I put them in water on the kitchen table and I preserved them in my journal for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment