Thursday, July 28, 2011

Letting Go of Comparisons

There are so many amazing and creative people out there in cyberspace. I swear sometimes I can get lost in my explorations. There is so much beauty, depth, growth and expansion going on and I for one feel so blessed to have access to it all.

And then there are times when I see a new creative project that someone is launching or a new vibrant piece of art that has been posted, or a new workshop, class, tip, or hint that has been put out and I think, "Wow, that's amazing! I should do something like that!"

And then my brain starts to swirl and wonder how I could create something like this person or that person. Before long I start to compare myself and inevitably I come up short because it is impossible that I could be just like anyone. If I'm not careful I start to think I'm not good enough or I don't know enough or I'll just never get it right.

You see, I've been so deep in my own creativity lately that things have been coming to me effortlessly. I've been attracting awesome new people into my life and ideas have emerged that are still in the formative stages yet I can feel that they are new, different, and completely mine. Being immersed so deeply in my own creative flow I forgot what it feels like to compare myself to to others and to desire to be like anyone else. When those old feelings started to stir in me this week I had this aha moment that, wow, I used to feel like this all the time!

I am happy for the reminder because it confirms that I am on the right path and it shows me how much I've grown recently. I find that often times when we change, we forget what life was like before and unless we are shown our past we may not fully understand the depth of our growth.

So I had my aha moment, laughed at myself and gave myself a little bit of gratitude and focused on all the cool things that I have going on and poof, the feelings passed! Gotta love it!

3 comments:

  1. what an awesome space to be in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!
    I have gotten myself to that space..so I know the journey. I spent the last couple days looking and browsing for something *new* and exciting for my classroom..and realized as I was doing it that there wasn't really anything out *there* that was better than what I could dream up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Stephanie! That's fantastic! It's amazing what we can do when we believe in ourselves isn't it?

    ReplyDelete