Saturday, March 26, 2011

Celebrating the Japanese Spirit



I have a student named Tomoko. She is currently living in New York after her husband was transferred from Japan to a US office. She still owns a home in Japan and has family there. I spoke with her on Wednesday after she returned from a trip back to her homeland to check on her family.

As we spoke she broke down into tears telling me how her close friends are missing, how her family has no gas to get anywhere and how the food supplies are scarce and tainted from radiation.

As I watched the events in Japan unfold my heart broke. I couldn't imagine being in their situation. I cried as I watched the rescues and cried harder when I saw the devastation and loss.
But there is something different about it when you know someone who is personally affected. To hear her speak not only about her personal loss but about the loss of her people and of her country dug deeper into my heart then ever before.

She sent me this video that a friend of hers made. It is quite touching and what I love about it the most is that it celebrates the people and their kindness, strength and spirit. I invite you to take a few minutes to celebrate these wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment