Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcome 2011!

Now that I've taken the time to say goodbye to 2010 I am now ready to welcome 2011 with open arms. I am excited to begin a new year!

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about the word I want to choose for 2011. I thought I had it down to 2...abundance and confidence but I couldn't choose between the two. I finally decided that I was going to just go with both of them. Why not?

But then something happened last night around 2:00am. I had a really great New Years Eve party with some of my favorite friends and their kids. My teenagers were even there. It felt so right. We were all having fun watching the kids play with the new xbox kinect we got. They were getting down to the dance game and having a ball.

As the night progressed some of the moms started dancing and then even some of the dads got in on it. One of my friends was trying to get me to do it and I kept saying no. I have played it before and I'm not too bad but I just didn't feel comfortable.

When the last guest left my son asked me if he could do just one more dance before he went to bed and could I please do it with him. Of course I said yes. I proceeded to rock it out and actually get over 1 million! A new record.

When I went up to bed I started thinking about my word choices and suddenly confidence didn't seem to fit. I was confident that I could do the dance game but I just didn't want to. It hit me like a ton of bricks...the word I need is courage! The courage to step out of my box when I feel uncomfortable. The courage to be who I am no matter what. The courage to live the life I deserve to live.

So my two words for 2011 are abundance and courage. The funny thing is that I did this Explore Your Word of the Year worksheet from Joy Tanksley and it became obvious why I couldn't decide between the two words. To me, they are they are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum and I must need the energy from both of them to balance each other out.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

How does your word taste?
abundance- sweet, complex
courage- bold, strong, spicy

How does your word feel?
abundance- trusting, warm, embracing
courage- empowering, strong, proud

How does your word move?
abundance- floating, swinging, drifting
courage- purposeful, upright, with direction

See what I mean? Complete opposites! I love it!

And to further reinforce one of my choices, I read a post on ABC Creativity and she had a quote on there that really hit home for me:

abundance = discovering that i have way more than i thought i did

So into 2011 I go with my two words to guide me through. I am planning on checking in from time to time to see how I am growing and changing and how these words are guiding me through my year.

Have you chosen a word yet? I would love to hear all about it!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle

    So excited to hear you will be in Jesse's class in February! I am sure it will inject you with courage and give you power for more abundant creating! Happy 2011

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle!

    I just saw that you will be in Jesse Reno's class in Feb. Me too! So excited for this class.
    Wishing you heaps of abundance and COURAGE as you set out for 2011. Happy to have found your blog and looking forward to meeting you in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle:
    My word is CREATE. I have never chosen a "word for the year" before so let's see how it works for me.

    I am thinking of taking the BIG workshop and saw you post at Dirty Footprints last month. I was wondering how much time you spent each week. I am a SAHM with 2 kids ages 5 & 7, so I am trying to figure out if I can dedicate the time I need to complete it.

    Thanks,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam. I love the word create. It can carry across all aspects of your life. I am sure it will be wonderful for you. I am planning on posting about my word once a month just to stay on track so maybe that will help you stay in tune with your word too.

    I loved the BIG workshop. Connie does such a great job and there is a bit of a time commitment but it really isn't that bad. Of course it is up to you how much time you spend on it but some weeks I painted everyday and other weeks I only painted once or twice. I have to say that I really wanted to paint so it wasn't difficult ;o)

    I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or just want some more clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle:
    Thanks for the info. In regards to BIG, which option did you sign up for? Also, I would like to chat with you more regarding the holistic wellness porgram that you completed.

    Thanks,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why don't you shoot me an email at mmmichelle2006(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete