I've been taking part in the #100dayproject on Instagram. I decided to pull an oracle card every day and paint a woman inspired by the card (#100oraclewomen). I was on vacation when the challenge started so it seemed like the best choice. I've been going along, playing with my watercolors and pulling cards and doing small and simple paintings. That is until today.
Today I pulled a card that really spoke to me on a deep level and I tried to express that in the same way I had up until now and it sucked. And I tried another one and it sucked too. And yet another...I think you get the drift...It sucked. They all sucked and they left me feeling agitated and I wasn't sure what to do so I sat down and read the card again.
The card I pulled was called The Right Choice. It talked about there not being a "right" or "wrong" choice but only one that is right or wrong for you. How everyone's path is different and learning to tune into the heart's wisdom was the key.
"In your heart you know what holds meaning for you. You may or may not have a grand vision to go along with that meaning as yet, but deep within, you know what is without value and what holds value-for you... Don't hold onto a belief system or vision if it appears to be tossed on it's head. Let things go the way they will and good fortune will prevail for you. That vision might actually have been upside down all this time, and suddenly able to right itself and be born for you if allowed to topple....Trust that if you are being drawn away from a tantalizing sweet shop, there is a more delicious array of confection just around the corner for you."Yes, it was beginning to come together for me. I like to draw, to sketch to paint and what not but it isn't the thing that fuels my soul. It isn't my heart's deepest desire. I know this and yet I see all these wonderful artists online and my friends and family tell me I should be an "artist" and sell my stuff so I try to do what "artists" do and it never sticks.
"To base your choices on what others have chosen for themselves may end up killing you. Better to take your risks on the angel of your own heart, wise as that being is, and dance to your own heart rhythm instead."
The truth is that I am an Intuitive Artist. I come alive when I have no preconceived idea what I am going to create.The things I love about intuitive painting are so numerous:
- that there is no right or wrong way to do it.
- facing a white piece of paper and just allowing my paintbrush to dance over the surface with my favorite color at that moment.
- how listening to my intuition leads me to the next color and the next brush stroke and the energy takes me away on a creative journey.
- how something can suddenly appear in the lines and shapes and how it amazes me how perfect it always seems to be.
- to just play on the page and let colors mix in the most delicious way.
- getting lost in the details and then stepping back to see the story emerging.
- that there are no mistakes
- painting for process and not product
- how much I love each piece I create even when they aren't pretty. There is something so amazing about pouring your heart onto the page that can make me fall in love with even the ugliest piece.
- getting messages and wisdom from every piece
- how sacred the whole thing feels even when I'm dancing around to music and having the best time ever
I decided to do what I do best and trust that it would come together in just the right way for this lesson. Everything I love about intuitive painting came flowing through and I came alive. Listening to my heart and making the choice to embrace my kind of art left me feeling more satisfied than anything I have created in the week prior. It felt right.
What does my story spark in you? What does thinking about your heart's desire bring up for you? Do you know what your deepest heart's desire is? Are you following it?
I'd like to invite you to spend some time digging deep and uncovering your truth. There are so many creative ways to dive in. You can journal, create a collage, or paint. I'd love to hear about your discovery so leave a comment or send me a message.